A fire at 130 Bank St., Batavia, destroyed an old garage and the items inside and partially damaged a neighbor's garage.
The fire was reported about 10:45 a.m. when a resident came home and saw smoke coming from the garage. By the time fire crews were on scene, flames were visible.
The homeowner, a 47-year resident, said he lost an ATV, snow blower, two bikes and other equipment. While Chief Ralph Hyde said he suspected a wood-burning stove in the garage, the owner said he had recently cleaned the stove and it wasn't in use at the time. He suspected it was an electrical fire.
Kelly Herold, a claims supervisor for Tompkins Insurance, was on scene quickly meeting with her clients. She watched the City's firefighters move quickly to dose the flames.
“The Fire Department did a great job," Herold observed. "It was a good save. They were able to contain the fire to the barn with limited damage to the surrounding homes."
The photo was submitted by reader Tricia Zdep. The bottom two photos were submitted by another reader.