An apartment house fire in Corfu Village was reported a few minutes ago and five fire departments were called to the scene. The location is 9 E. Main St., between Corfu Plaza and West Main Street. A minute later, a dispatcher said the fire was out and all responders could go back in service, with the exception of Corfu.
The caller said flames and smoke were visible.
The other responders toned out for service were the city's Fast Team, Darien, Pembroke, East Pembroke and Mercy medics.
Batavia PD is looking for the public's assistance in identifying these two individuals in connection with an arson investigation. The individuals appeared on a video surveillance footage in proximity to a dumpster fire reported last night at a location on West Main Street (the exact location was not released). The fire was reported shortly before 9:30 p.m.
Anybody with any information that might assist in the investigation are asked to call Det. Thad Mart at (585) 345-6372.
City fire is on scene at the YMCA on East Main Street in Batavia after a report of the smell of smoke in the building. The facility has been evacuated. Fire command reports the smell of something electrical burning. Investigating.
A caller reports insulation is on fire under a house at 7014 Swamp Road. Bryon and South Byron fire departments are responding, along with mutual aid from Bergen, Elba and the Town of Batavia's Fast Team. A second engine from Bergen is requested to fill in at Byron's fire hall. The location is between Hessenthaler and Pococks roads.
UPDATE 9:12 p.m.: Byron command is holding the assignment to Byron, Sotuh Byron and Pavilion. Elba and Town of Batavia are put back in serivce. They are calling for a thermal camera.
Le Roy Fire Department went to a report of a possible grass fire in some woods in the area of Linwood and Harris roads. They inquired if it was a controlled burn. Dispatch said there was no record of a controlled burn called in for that location. The property owner became irate and insisted that a controlled burn was called in at about 8 a.m. today.
The landowner insists no one should be on the property; he wants firefighters to leave. A deputy is called to the scene and the Department of Environmental Conservation is contacted.
UPDATE 8:04 p.m.: The chief on scene says a resolution has been reached with the farmer. Responses from a Sheriff's deputy and the DEC are cancelled.
UPDATE 8:10 p.m.: The Le Roy assignment is back in service.
A possible electrical fire is reported inside a house at 6890 Ellicott Street Road. The caller told a dispatcher "her dryer blew up." Pavilion Fire Department is reponding along with mutual aid from Le Roy. The location is between River Road and Woodrow Drive.
UPDATE 8:30 p.m.: Pavilion command reports a code enforcement officer is on scene and that the occupants are going to remain on the premises until help arrives from the American Red Cross.
A possible house fire is reported at 1 Jerome Place in the city. A caller at Tully's restaurant reports seeing smoke coming from the structure. City fire is responding. The location is between Prune and East Main streets.
UPDATE 6:23 p.m.: Somebody was grilling food in the yard. The assignment is back in service.
Smoke is coming from an electrical outlet inside the Byron Arrowmart, 6890 Byron Holley Road. The convenience store has been evacuated. Byron Fire Department is on scene. South Byron, Bergen, Town of Batavia's Fast Team, and a fill-in crew from Elba were also initially dispatched. Once command was on scene the other responding units were put back in service.
UPDATE 5:48 a.m.: Responding units back in service.
City fire responded to a kitchen fire at 27 Tracy Ave., Batavia, this afternoon that caused an estimated $1,000 in damage.
The fire was reported at 4:38 p.m. and was deemed accidental, according to a press release.
Engine 11 arrived three minutes after the alarm and reported smoke showing. The residents evacuated.
Once inside, firefighters found a pot of grease on fire on the stove with flames extending into other combustibles nearby. The crew smothered the fire by putting a lid on the pot and used a fire extinguisher to knock down the remaining fire on a cabinet and wall paneling.
Crews were also able to locate and remove a pet rabbit from the home.
City fire remained on scene for about an hour checking for extension and ventilating the structure.
The estimated building damage is $200 and contents damage is put at $800.