Man, 72, jumps from second-floor window, extinquishes fire and saves his wife
Quick thinking and the amazing athleticism of a 72-year-old resident of a Bank Street townhouse may have saved the lives of him and his wife as he single-handily battled a fire, according to a Democrat & Chronicle story.
Something awoke the couple at about 3:40 a.,m. this morning, and the man -- who is not identified -- jumped from his second floor window, grabbed a shovel, smashed a window and extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived using water and a five-gallon bucket.
The couple was treated and released for smoke inhalation at United Memorial Medical Center. The man also sustain some cuts on his feet from broken glass.
The apartment, at 337 Bank Street, suffered enough damage to make it unlivable. It did not have a working smoke detector, according to Chief Tom Dillon.