GC39DCC - LEAP....MEET....and RIDE!
JOIN US FOR A WINTER GEOCACHING LEAP DAY EVENT !!
Event: GC39DCC - LEAP....MEET....and RIDE! (http://coord.info/GC39DCC)
What: A geocaching event celebrating the third Leap Day in geocaching history and promoting the Herschell Carrousel Museum
When: Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Time: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Where: Herschell Carrousel Museum, North Tonawanda
Who: Any and all geocachers, and anyone interested in learning about geocaching!
Have you heard of Geocaching? If not, it is a high-tech treasure hunting game that takes place around the world. You use your GPSr unit, or other navigational device, to hide and seek containers worldwide. Basically, you upload coordinates from a geocaching website, you plug them in to your GPSr, follow the coordinates and start looking for a container. The container could be as small as your fingertip or as big as a .50 cal ammo can (rarely larger). Once found, you will normally find a logbook to sign and some trinkets to trade. It is a great year-round outdoor activity!! You get a lot of exercise (sometimes without even realizing it) and you get to visit some neat historic and scenic places.
Registration is encouraged at Geocaching.com (direct link to listing: http://coord.info/GC39DCC). An account is required to register and is absolutely free! Donations of $3.00 per adult and $2.00 per child aged 12 and under are requested to help cover costs.
The event is specifically trying to promote:
- that geocaching is year-round. This event is the perfect excuse to geocache during the winter months!
- that this is a once-every-four-years opportunity and a great way to meet some of those geocaching challenges, such as caching 366 days a year!
- a great place to meet and greet cachers you've read about in the logbooks of the caches you've found. You can put faces to the names!
- the Herschell Carrousel Museum, with the event being held there
- the cache GC26TX5 Once Around is Never Enough! (http://coord.info/GC26TX5) which promotes our local history of the carrousel
Hopefully, we will see you there!!