Local Matters

Community Sponsors

December 13, 2010 - 4:04pm

Smoldering oven mitts thrown on back porch likely cause of East Pembroke fire

posted by Howard B. Owens in fire, pembroke, east pembroke, Angling Road.

A pair of smoldering ovens mitts are the likely cause of a late morning fire in East Pembroke that has put an Angling Road couple out of their home.

anglingfire_01.jpgThe fire destroyed the back portion of the home at 2583 Angling Road, and it sustained heavy smoke and water damage throughout.

Daniel and Sarah Norway escaped the home safely with assistance from Deputy Brian Thompson. A dog was taken out of the house with Sarah and a cat was rescued by firefighters. Two other family cats perished in the fire.

The fire was reported at 12:10 p.m. Sarah reported smelling smoke, looked out the back door and saw flames. She woke up Daniel. He immediately went outside and found the back stairs gone and flames climbing up the walls.

Thompson arrived on scene to find Daniel trying to put out the fire and Sarah was still inside with the dog. Thompson got them out of the house. The deputy's report says "snow was thrown on the fire" while awaiting the arrival of firefighters, without saying who threw the snow on the fire.

According to Thompson's report, Sarah said she had thrown a pair of smoldering oven mitts out the back door around 11 a.m.

East Pembroke Fire responded to the scene and assisting at the scene or in fill-in roles were Town of Batavia, Pembroke, Corfu, Darien, Indian Falls and Oakfield along with Genesee County Emergency Services. An Animal Control officer also responded and took an orange tabby to the Batavia Animal Hospital.

The fire was first called in by neighbor Raymond Russell of Read Road.

The house is assessed at $71,300 and was insured.

(Initial Report)

Rachel Oshlag
Rachel Oshlag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 9 months ago
Joined: Apr 19 2009 - 1:05pm
I am so sorry to hear about your house! My family has recently gone through a house fire as well. Please let me know if we can be of any help with information (i.e. good and bad experiences with cleaning/restoration companies for objects and clothes, some local resources that have been very helpful, etc). I hope that your pets that were rescued are doing well. Both of our cats were treated at Batavia Animal Hospital after our fire and everyone there was really wonderful and helpful. -Rachel

Post new comment

Log in or register to post comments

Calendar

S M T W T F S
 
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31
 
 

Copyright © 2008-2019 The Batavian. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
 

blue button