David Zuppelli, of Batavia, submitted this photo of his father, Chester Zuppelli, playing Taps on Memorial Day 1944 in New Caledonia, South Pacific.
Here's a schedule for Memorial Day Ceremonies and the Batavia parade:
7 a.m. -- Genesee County Park (11095 Bethany Center Road, East Bethany) -- Vietnam Veterans Memorial (VVA #193)
8 a.m. -- Williams Park, City of Batavia-- WW I Memorial (wreath laying, rifle salute & Taps)
8:30 a.m. -- Batavia VA Medical Center
8:45 a.m. -- NYS Veterans Home
9:30 a.m. -- Upton Monument (routes 5 and 63) (wreath laying, rifle salute & Taps)
9:45 a.m. -- Batavia Cemetery, Harvester Avenue, City of Batavia (wreath laying, rifle salute & Taps)
10 a.m. -- Elmwood Cemetery, off Harvester Avenue and Webster Street in the city (AL #332)
10 a.m. -- CITY PARADE -- Begins at the Eastown Plaza traveling west along Main Street and ending at Jerome Center on Bank Street at 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. -- UMMC -- Jerome Center:
- Memorial Day ceremonies: Invocation; National Anthem with Batavia Concert Band; G.A.R. Order of the Day; Veterans Service Organizations Commemorations; wreath laying with Gold Star Mothers; Honor Roll with drum roll; rifle salute; Taps; Benediction; "God Bless America."
Noon -- Hansen Brothers Grave -- Grandview Cemetery on Clinton Street Road, Batavia (MCL #951)
Hansen Borthers Marine Corps League Detachment #951
Glenn S. Loomis American Legion Post #332
Veness-Strollo Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #1602
Disabled American Veterans Chapter #166
Vietnam Veterans of American Chapter #193
Sons of Union Veterans Abraham Lincoln Camp #6
Here are more local Memorial Day ceremonies/parades:
ALEXANDER: Parade begins at 10:30 a.m. at the Alexander High School and travels to the cemetery on Railroad Avenue with a ceremony to take place at the cemetery following the parade.
- BERGEN: Parade at 9 a.m. beginning at the Fire Hall (Route 19 & Hunter Street), traveling south on Route 19 to Hickory Park with ceremony to take place at the park immediately following the parade.
- BYRON: Parade at 11 a.m. from Terry Street to Swamp Road with a ceremony immediately following at Byron Cemetery.
CORFU: Parade at noon from Corfu Fire hall on Route 33 to the Intermediate School on Route 77. Ceremony immediately following the parade.
- ELBA: Ceremony at Maple Lawn Cemetery at 10 a.m. No parade. The Elba Historical Society Museum will be open for tours after the ceremony.
- LEROY: Parade at 10:30 a.m. from the American Legion to Trigon Park with a ceremony at Trigon Park at 11 a.m. following the parade.
OAKFIELD: Parade at 11 a.m. from the Oakfield Fire Dept. to Triangle Park with ceremony to be held at Triangle Park.
PAVILION: Ceremony at 10 a.m. at the Town Park at intersection of routes 63 and 19. No parade.
No parades/ceremonies for the following: