GCC students have been working hard all week to put the finishing touches on the 34th annual fashion show. When we stopped by the campus yesterday, we found three of the models rehearsing their runway presentation. Pictured are Kiatta Whipset, Halee Santiago and Brittney Malone.
Here's a GCC press release about the fashion show:
Whether they're "Walking Among the Wildflowers," preparing for a "Battlefield," or turning desert beasts into beauties in a scene called "Transcendence," GCC fashion students are getting ready to wow crowds again this year at the 34th Annual Fashion Show, "Fata Morgana."
Advance tickets are highly recommended for the event on Saturday, April 25. Two complete shows are planned, at 3 and 7 p.m., in the William W. Stuart Forum on the GCC Batavia campus.
"Fata Morgana" is produced by GCC Fashion Merchandising and Design students under the guidance of GCC Business Professors Rick Dudkowski and Donna Ehrhart. This year's theme is inspired by the beauty of the desert and the show, like a fata morgana mirage, will feature rapidly changing views as desert colors bloom onstage.
Students have been busy rehearsing with the more than 140 models who will appear in the 12 scenes. A number of the scenes will feature original creations by Fashion Design students.
"Since we introduced the Fashion Design concentration, more and more of our students are creating their own designs for the fashion show," Ehrhart said. "Audiences love seeing these original pieces and there will be many of them in this year's show."
Fashion Merchandising students are also collaborating with both local and national vendors including Batavia's own Charles Men's Shop and denim jeans maker Buffalo David Bitton. The scenes planned for "Fata Morgana" include:
1. "Battlefield" -- Designed and Coordinated by Amber Coan;
2. "Among the Wildflowers" -- Coordinated by Taylor Bunch and Katie Strong with apparel by Lord & Taylor and Gymboree;
3. "Transcendence" -- Coordinated by Angelique Porey & Sara Elliott with apparel by Porey;
4. "Inevitable" -- Coordinated by DJ Simmons with apparel by LovelyWholesale;
5. "Bare" Coordinated -- by Jocelyn Eade & Eunice Goeun Park with apparel by Eade;
6. "Bri-Jhn" -- Coordinated by Brittany Breedlove with apparel by B.B.;
7. "Minuit Désert" -- By T. LaShaé; Coordinated by Tiffany Hill & Chiho Nakayama with apparel by T. LaShaé and jewelry by Na'kaylas Jewelry Box;
8. "Festival Haze" -- Coordinated by Ami Cornell and Kylie Dunn with apparel by Buffalo David Bitton and Lord & Taylor;
9. "Oasis" -- Coordinated and Designed by Abby Lee Wilcox with jewelry by Kana Tatsumi;
10. "Opulence" -- Coordinated and Designed by Catherine Morales;
11. "Veni Vidi Vici" -- Coordinated by Ariana Sneed with apparel by Candace Cooper;
12. "Sandar" -- Coordinated by Lekha Anderson with apparel by Charles Men's Shop and M.A. Carr Bridal;
Along with enjoying the fashions presented during the show, which is a capstone project for many GCC students, guests will have a chance to win a variety of door prizes from restaurant gift certificates to gift cards and baskets. They will also have an opportunity to meet the scene coordinators at the postshow after-party in the cafeteria.
Tourism and Hospitality Management students develop the exquisite after-party and assist with the decorating, Criminal Justice students provide security at the event, and GCC's Communications and Media arts students promote the event on WGCC.
"The way our students from various departments come together to make this annual Fashion Show a huge success always impresses me," Dudkowski said. "We're excited for people to see the students' hard work come to fruition at showtime."
Tickets for the shows are available for $5 in advance or $7 at the door and can be purchased by calling 585-345-6830 or e-mail [email protected]. Advance tickets are strongly recommended and must be purchased by April 23.
You can read more about the creation of the scenes, the students and happenings in the fashion program at the GCC fashion blog http://gcccampusblog.wordpress.com/category/fashion/