Submitted image and press release:
The Batavia High School Class of 2020 will hold a Senior Parade beginning at 4 p.m. on Saturday, June 20.
This was originally the date scheduled for their senior prom, which was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Students wanted to mark the occasion with a fun event that will provide a drive down “memory lane” and a chance for them to see former teachers and supportive family, friends, and community members.
They will begin their parade at Batavia High School, assembling there at 3:45 p.m., then loop around the city to pass by each school building (Robert Morris, Jackson Primary, Batavia Middle School, John Kennedy Intermediate, then back to BHS).
Seniors are strongly encouraged decorate their car, dress up for the occasion, and/or display plans for next year.
The community is highly encouraged to cheer them on and make signs congratulating along the route!
Here's the route*:
- From the BHS Loop, left on State Street, right onto Richmond Avenue, left onto Union Street;
- Pass Robert Morris School, turn left onto West Main Street, veer right at the Upton Monument onto Ellicott Street, turn right onto Jackson Street, then left onto South Jackson Street;
- Pass Jackson Elementary, turn left onto South Swan Street, which becomes Swan Street, then changes into Ross Street;
- Pass Batavia Middle School, turn right onto East Avenue, then left onto Elm Street;
- Drive through loop at John Kennedy School, get back onto Elm, southbound, and turn right onto North Street, then right onto Ross Street, left onto Bank Street Road, then right onto Denio Street, and right onto State Street.
- Finish by rounding the Batavia High School loop.
*Editor's note: The map and written directives sent June 11 by BCSD had a couple of errors. The information has been updated and corrected as of June 12.