Sheriff's Teen Academy returns, moves to GCC
The Genesee County Sheriff’s Office will be offering its third annual Teen Academy July 18 – July 22, 2022, at a new venue, Genesee Community College.
“We are excited to be partnering with Genesee Community College. The campus provides us the opportunity to introduce Teen Academy participants to the college’s criminal justice facilities, which include a 9-1-1 dispatch console simulator and a firearms simulator. The Teen Academy is a one-week, structured program which consists of instructional classes designed to provide high-school-aged students within our community an introduction to law enforcement training and gain an understanding of law enforcement’s role in their community. It is our hope that teens will build confidence while learning good decision-making and leadership skills,” stated Sheriff Sheron.
Academy instructors are experienced deputy sheriffs who will discuss the day-to-day operations of the Sheriff’s Office. Participants will also:
- visit the County Jail, 911 Emergency Services Dispatch Center, and Sheriff’s Office
- observe displays of the Emergency Response Team (ERT), Hostage Negotiation, SCUBA Team, K-9 Unit and Evidence Recovery
- be provided insight into motor vehicle accident reconstruction
- participate in daily physical fitness runs, defensive tactics, and team-building exercises
- participate in a classroom setting and learn about the NYS Penal Laws and Vehicle & Traffic Laws
- participate in mock traffic stops and DWI procedures
Qualified candidates will be selected for an interview screening process if they meet the following requirements:
- must be entering grades 10-12 in the fall
- must be in good academic standing with little to no disciplinary issues
- must be able to participate in physical fitness activities
- must have a positive attitude
- must have their parent’s permission
There is no charge to attend the academy. Application deadline is May 13, 2022.
For more information or to obtain an application, check out our Facebook page or contact Deputy Rich Schildwaster at (585) 344-7725.
Top photo: Submitted photo. Photos below, file photos from 2018