St. Mark's church in Le Roy to get $10K from NY Landmarks Conservancy
Submitted photo and press release:
The New York Landmarks Conservancy has announced eight Sacred Sites Grants totaling $140,000 awarded to historic religious properties throughout New York State, including $10,000 to St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Le Roy to help fund window and exterior repair.
The parish was founded in a schoolhouse in 1804, and this 1869-1870 Gothic Revival building is the church’s second home. The building was built on the foundations of a former mill, and designed by prominent Rochester architect Andrew Jackson Warner. A parish hall wing was added at the rear of the church in 1957-1958, and was designed by Buffalo architect Robert North.
St. Mark’s reaches about 1,100 community members a year with such activities as a summer lunch program at Mill Street Park, which was doubled in size this year in response to the coronavirus pandemic. The Western New York Diocesan Deanery Project for Social Justice holds workshops for migrant farm workers at the church. The Le Roy History of Art Club uses space for meetings, and the Genesee Chorale has two concerts per year.
“We’re delighted our grants can help maintain these important institutions during this difficult time,” said Peg Breen, president, The New York Landmarks Conservancy. “Throughout the pandemic, they have continued feeding and recovery programs, as well as health and cultural offerings to their communities.”
The Sacred Sites Program provides congregations with matching grants for planning and implementing exterior restoration projects, technical assistance and workshops. Since 1986, the program has pledged 1,559 grants totaling more than $12 million to 828 religious institutions statewide.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy
The New York Landmarks Conservancy, a private nonprofit organization, has led the effort to preserve and protect New York City’s architectural legacy for nearly 50 years. Since its founding, the Conservancy has loaned and granted more than $52 million, which has leveraged more than $1 billion in 1,850 restoration projects throughout New York, revitalizing communities, providing economic stimulus and supporting local jobs.
The Conservancy has also offered countless hours of pro bono technical advice to building owners, both nonprofit organizations and individuals. The Conservancy’s work has saved more than a thousand buildings across the City and State, protecting New York’s distinctive architectural heritage for residents and visitors alike today, and for future generations. For more information, please visit www.nylandmarks.org.
Photo courtesy of The New York Landmarks Conservancy.