Le Roy’s Wolcott Street School was evacuated as a precaution this morning, due to a “strange odor” in the building, Principal Carol Messura said.
No one was in danger at any time, Messura said in an automated message to parents, and school will resume as normal on Wednesday.
“This morning we experienced a strange odor permeating through the Lapp wing and first floor of our Wolcott Street building,” Messura said in the message this evening.
“This was not a natural gas leak,” she said. “What we did find was a venting problem. At no time was anyone in danger. We were simply following protocol.”
The evacuation was ordered before the start of school, and parents were notified at 8:55 a.m. Arriving students were either “reverse-bused” home, dismissed to their parents or transported to the Junior-Senior High School.
Le Roy Fire Department and RG&E personnel investigated, and gave the all-clear about 10 a.m.
Wolcott Street School accommodates children from prekindergarten through sixth grade.
Previous coverage: Le Roy elementary school evacuated