American Legion post in Le Roy announces Memorial Day plans
Notice of Memorial Day events in Le Roy from the Botts-Fiorito American Legion Post #576:
Remembering the War Dead:
Memorial Day services will be conducted on Monday, May 27, at two community cemeteries, starting at Machpelah on North Street at 8 a.m., followed by St. Francis, located on the south side of Exchange Street.
The Post Chaplain will conduct the respective services, followed at each location with a volley by the Firing Squad in recognition of the deceased veterans.
- Parade forms at 9:45 a.m. in the American Legion parking lot, 53 W. Main St.;
- Parade “steps off” at 10:30 a.m. SHARPLY, proceeds to Trigon Park.
Ceremonies at Trigon Park:
- Introduction and “Welcome” by the Post Commander, John Graney;
- Invocation reading by the Post Chaplain, Gary Bassett;
- Singing of the “National Anthem” by Mary Brady;
- Introduction of the 2019 “Poppy Girl” -- Celeste Vescovi;
- Memorial Day Guest Speaker: Town Supervisor Steve Barbeau;
- Dedication of Korean War Veterans Bench -- Lynne Belluscio and John Graney;
- Reading of names and placement of flags for veterans who have passed over the past year;
- Placement of wreath on the Monument -- Commander Graney, Auxiliary President Marlene McCumiskey;
- Musical selections by the Le Roy High School Band;
- Closing with the playing of “Taps” and volley by the Firing Squad;
- Benediction and closing by the Post Chaplain;
- Singing of “God Bless America” led by Mary Brady.
As per tradition, all are cordially invited to the American Legion Post Home, 53 W. Main St. for free hot dogs and a soft drink immediately following the ceremonies.