Local Matters

Community Sponsors

December 13, 2010 - 12:17pm

House on fire on Angling Road

anglingfire_01.jpg

A structure fire is reported at 2583 Angling Road. It's between Read Road and Church Street. There is black smoke billowing from the corner of the house.

A firefighter on scene says there is heavy smoke coming from the rear of the residence.

Another says "Occupants and dog are out. It is involved."

East Pembroke and Town of Batavia fire departments are responding. An engine from Corfu is also requested.

UPDATE 12:24 p.m.: This East Pembroke fire has gone to a second alarm. Mercy medics are on scene. Corfu has called for an engine from Darien to stand in at Corfu's hall. A tanker from Indian Falls is requested. "It's starting to go fast -- everybody be careful because of the ice." But a bit later "The floor is gone. All interior firefighters are ordered out of the structure."

UPDATE 12:29 p.m.: Town of Batavia calls for an engine from Corfu to fill in at its station. Some units on scene are working to try and protect the garage.

UPDATE 12:35 p.m.: Oakfield is called to fill in at Town of Batavia's fire hall. Despite the prior directive, and the collapse of the floor, firefighters are now on the second floor of the house working to put out the fire. National Grid is notified, no ETA given. A chief asks "Do we have a crew for the roof?"

UPDATE 12:50 p.m.: The chief says "The fire's out. We're just trying to clean up in here. There aren't any hot spots." Also, a badly injured cat was found at the scene (presumably it has suffered burns). It is not known whose cat it is, if anyone's. It has been placed inside the garage and people from the animal shelter are on their way to get it and treat it. According to Sheriff's Deputy Brian Thompson, the fire started outside in a stairwell from unknown causes. A man and woman were asleep in their bedroom when the woman awoke and smelled something burning. By then, the fire had starting climbing the walls of the residence.

UPDATE 1:13 p.m.: The rescued cat did not apparently suffer from burns. Rather it experienced severe smoke inhalation and was heavily doused with water. It is one of three of the family's cats and is being taken to Batavia Animal Hospital on West Main Street Road. The other two cats remain unaccounted for.

UPDATE 2:04 p.m. (by Howard): Red Cross requested to the scene. Also, photo above of the red tabby that was rescued from the house. It was covered in water that had frozen and probably suffered from smoke inhalation, but was crying loudly as it was being carried here. The firefighter is taking the cat to a garage where it might be warmer. An Animal Control officer picked up the cat a short time later and took it to Batavia Animal Hospital.


View Larger Map

anglingfire_02.jpg

anglingfire_03.jpg

Post new comment

Log in or register to post comments

Calendar

S M T W T F S
 
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31
 
 

Copyright © 2008-2019 The Batavian. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
 

blue button