From the Daily News (Thursday):
• City Manager Jason Molino told the Daily News that the city has narrowed the field of candidates to two for the position of interim police chief. There is no mention of the names of the candidates in the article. The position of fire chief will be vacant as of this weekend. Current Chief Larry Smith retires Friday. Molino said that the city has not yet chosen a temporary candidate to hold the position until an interim candidate is appointed followed by a permanent replacement. Aso vacant is the position of code enforcement officer, which will likely not be filled until later this summer.
• A report of the departure of Deputy Finance Director Shelly D'Alba is reported today. That story was covered by WBTA and The Batavian yesterday. Also reported on the front page is the upcoming technology conference at Genesee Community College, first noted on The Batavian some weeks ago. Go to the GCC site for more information.
• The town approved pursuing state permission for a pair of water districts last night. Some financing could come through federal grants and loans for rthe two districts: about 14,830 feet of main for the Rose Road district at a cost of about $658,000; and about 11,300 feet of main for the Alexander-Pike district at a cost of about $1,175,200. In other business, the town approved "a shared services agreement with the town of Byron for code enforcement officer coverage when needed," writes reporter Roger Muehlig.
• Genesee Community College student Briana Coogan-Bassett was awarded the Virginia Carr Mumford Scholarship from the Batavia Society of Artsits. For more about Briana and other artists featured at the art show at Richmond Memorial Library, check out the article by John Loyd.
• Batavia Blue Devils girls track won their seventh straight title in the Monroe County League Division III. The Blue Devils beat East Ridge 129-12 yesterday to go to 35-0 in the league.
For the complete stories, the Daily News is available on local newsstands, or you can subscribe on BataviaNews.com.