Skip to main content

Bergen man suspected of DWI dies shortly after arrest

By Howard B. Owens

A 47-year-old Bergen man suspected of DWI died shortly after being arrested Tuesday evening, despite the best efforts of Sheriff's deputies and EMS personnel to revive him.

Richard Fox, of 7936 Swamp Road, was pronounced dead at UMMC at 7:33 p.m.

The incident started at 5:59 p.m. when Deputy Timothy Wescott was dispatched to the Fox residence after a 9-1-1 call reported that Fox had just gotten in his car while intoxicated and driven off.

When Wescott arrived at the address, he reportedly found Fox's car in the driveway and Fox was in his residence, so Wescott questioned him about the alleged drinking and driving.

Based on the interview, Wescott conducted a field sobriety test. Fox reportedly failed the test and was placed into custody.

After Fox was handcuffed and placed in a patrol vehicle, he asked to speak to his wife.

Fox is described in a Sheriff's Office press release as cooperative throughout the entire process.

After Fox finished talking with his wife, Wescott noticed that Fox had become unresponsive. About this time, Deputy Chris Parker arrived on scene.

Wescott and Parker began to administer CPR to Fox and the Bergen Volunteer Fire Department ambulance was dispatched to the location.

The medics took over resuscitation procedures and began the transport to UMMC.

Efforts to revive Fox at UMMC were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead.

The investigation into his death is ongoing by the Sheriff's Office, Coroner Robert Yungfleisch and the Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office.

andrew martin

Dick Fox was my uncle. While I haven't been very close to him for the past few years I have fond memories of him from my childhood. He was a big teddy bear. Unfortunately he made some poor decisions and he and his wife and young daughter suffer the ultimate consequence. Please be respectful with your comments.

Mar 17, 2010, 4:28pm Permalink

Authentically Local