City Fire releases results of several fire investigations
The City of Batavia Fire Department’s origin and cause team under the command of Captain Martin Hinz has determined through a systematic process of comparison examination, reconstruction of the fire scene, witness statements and a detailed examination of fire debris the cause of the following incidents in 2019:
- July 4 -- 13 Hutchins St.: Under investigation
- Aug. 26 -- 337 Bank St.: Accidental, cooking related
- Aug. 31 -- 18 East Ave.: Accidental, electrical
- Sept. 17 -- 511 Ellicott St.: Accidental, cooking related
- Sept. 18 -- 11 Garfield Ave.: Accidental, mechanical failure
- Sept. 23 -- 1 City Center (Island Hawaiian Grill): Accidental, spontaneous combustion
Chief Stefano Napolitano commends Captain Hinz and the other members of the investigation team for their dedication and diligence in determining the origin and cause of these fires.
The process of investigating is never easy, however, it is imperative that a determination is made so as to bring closure as well as enhance the possibility of not repeating the cause if possible.
The City of Batavia Fire Department was assisted in part by City of Batavia Police and the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control.