Fundraising effort underway to assist family who lost everything in house fire
The community is pulling together, rallying around a family of six that was burned out of their home at 37 Maple St., Batavia, yesterday morning.
There are a few donation and fundraising efforts that have started since news of the fire hit local news home pages yesterday.
A new store, the Junk Drawer, at 238 Ellicott St., is accepting item donations for the family, and Ally Scofield has set up a GoFundMe page for the family.
Items that can be dropped off at the Junk Drawer include clothing items for boys age 3- to 6-months and age 10 to 12. Size 14 and 16 women's pants, 2x-3x women's shirts, men's 32 and 34 pants, women's 12-15 pants, and women's large shirts. They also need personal items such as shampoo, soap, etc.
The GoFundMe campaign has set a goal of raising $5,000 and has already exceeded $3,000.
The family had lived at the residence for three years but did not have renter's insurance. They lost seven pets and all of their personal belongings and household items.
Top photo: City Fire Chief Stefano Napolitano comforts Bentley Sherman, who lived at the residence with his mother and grandmother.