Results for the 12th Annual Alexander Green and Gold Wrestling Tournament
Submitted by Andrea Aldinger.
The 12th Annual Alexander Green and Gold Wrestling Tournament proved to be an exciting day. Sponsored by Breton Construction, Hillside Electric and County Line Stone, the tournament had a round-robin format, and 12 area schools participated with more than 150 wrestlers.
West Seneca East took away the Team Championship with Letchworth in 2nd, Alexander in 3rd and Attica in 4th place. Individual champions are:
- 99 lbs. – Andrew Hollister, Perry
- 106 lbs. – Bryan Ruggeri, Fairport
- 113 lbs. – James Arao, Fairport
- 120 lbs. – Carl Fantuzzo
- 126 lbs. – Jon Bauer, West Seneca East
- 132 lbs. – Tyler Aldinger, Alexander
- 138 lbs. – Anthony Bell, Fairport
- 145 lbs. – Austin Hedges, Letchworth
- 152 lbs. – Ben Wilamowski, West Seneca East
- 160 lbs. – Chris Nevinger, Letchworth
- 170 lbs. – Austin Heberlein, Alexander
- 182 lbs. – Jeff Day, Letchworth
- 195 lbs. – Bryce Mazurowski, Avon
- 220 lbs. – Corey Lapp, Attica
- 285 lbs. – Dan Ognibene, Alexander
In the finals, to determine individual champions, were these matches of note:
- 106 lbs. final between Bryan Ruggeri (Fairport) and Corey Hollister (Perry): Ruggeri pulled out an overtime win.
- 126 lbs. consulation final between Jake Sepor (Pavilion) and Christian Hollister (Perry): Hollister was winning with 4 seconds left,; Sepor threw Hollister in a head lock to win the match and take 3rd.
- 132 lbs. final: Tyler Aldinger (Alexander) took a major decision 8 – 0 against West Seneca East’s Jason Draves.
- 170 lbs. final was a fight to the bitter end as Austin Heberlein (Alexander) won in overtime against Jordan Lechner (West Seneca East) with a double leg take down.
- 285 lbs. final was taken into double overtime as Dan Ognibene (Alexander) beat Shane Nelson with an Escape.
Other local wrestlers that placed were Nick Gaiser, of Attica, and Leah Taylor, of Alexander, Steve Strauchen, of Attica, and Spencer Kramell from Perry, Will Burke and Kelsey Patten, both from Alexander.
Most Outstanding Wrestler awards went to:
- Light Weight – 106 lbs. Bryan Ruggeri, Fairport
- Mid weight – 160 lbs. Chris Nevinger, Letchworth
- Heavy Weight – 195 lbs. Bryce Mazurowski, Avon