PBA legend Pete Weber directs anger at USBC's tournament practice format
The U.S. Open wasn’t kind to PBA legend Pete Weber, who was forced to withdraw on Friday due to a hip injury and, in an interview with Lucas Wiseman of FloBowling (flobowling.com) afterwards, added some insult to the situation by blasting the United States Bowling Congress.
Dom Barrett of England triumphs as No. 1 seed Butturff falters again
See story below
Weber was upset about the USBC’s practice time format, which allocates 14 lanes not being used during the tournament and gives each squad (48 bowlers) about 20 minutes of practice time. After that, the bowlers get one practice ball on each of their starting lanes.
During the interview, Weber made his feelings very clear. This is what he said:
“One ball on each lane when you start, I’m sorry but I don’t know what the USBC is trying to do to us, but to me it’s kind of stupid. I’m sorry, I’ve always been straight forward, but I think what they’re doing to us right now is very stupid.”
He said it wasn’t a matter of him not being physically able to compete.
“No, I went down to the practice, and we’ve got 20 minutes of practice on the pairs down there. But when there are five, six guys on a lane, you only get three, four or five shots, maybe. I’m sorry, I’m 56 years old and I need more than five or six shots. And then when they make us move to our pair and I only get one shot on each lane, I think that’s just totally wrong, I think that’s just totally wrong.”
He acknowledged his disappointment with having to withdraw for the second straight year.
“My hip hurt. The conditions were stupid. And even this year … I know we’re bowling on fresh (oil) every squad, but they’re not giving us anything to work with. And I am up to here with the USBC. I’m almost ready to quit.”
He said he is thinking about retiring from the regular tour but sticking with the senior tour (PBA50).
“Now I got two months off. I’ve got my new doctor here. He made me feel really good. But when I have to go and stand straight up when I throw a shot, that doesn’t help me. And when you can’t get the ball to go 30 feet down the lane before it hooks, it’s – like I said – stupid, it’s really stupid.”
He said his dissatisfaction is directed at the USBC.
“I’m not frustrated with bowling -- I’m frustrated with the USBC and what they’re trying to do to bowling right now. I don’t mean any disrespect to the USBC, but I think that what they’re doing is not right – and I think they’re just hurting bowling right now, especially professional bowling.”
Wiseman, a former USBC staffer, wrote a column related to Weber’s rant, properly noting that the USBC is trying to retain the integrity of the oil pattern by limiting practice on tournament pairs.
He also wrote that 48 bowlers on 14 lanes for 20 minutes means there are “too many players practicing on too few lanes.”
BATAVIA YOUTHS OFF TO GOOD START IN ROCHESTER LEAGUE
Mancuso Bowling Center’s entry in the Rochester NY USBC Youth Travel League Handicap Division is off to a flying start, winning 20 of its first 30 points over three weeks of competition.
Coached by Tom Fluker, the team is tied for second place with AMF Dewey Gardens II and AMF Gates Bowl III – six points behind AMF Fairview Lanes I. Gates has four teams in the league while Fairview and Dewey Gardens each have two teams.
Other teams represent Bowl-A-Roll, Brockport Bowl, AMF Empire Lanes, Radio Social and Miller Lanes (Honeoye Falls).
Individually, Tony Sprague rolled 247—659 and Emma Miller 187—513 last week to lead the way. Sprague leads the league with a 195 average while Miller is second among the girls with a 164 average.
Other Batavia team members are Corinne Saluste, Ben Sputore, Zach Wester and Haylee Thornley. Four of the six are selected to compete in the weekly league, which ends in late March.
Mancuso’s is hosting the league at 2 p.m. this Saturday.
ROSE GARDEN TEAM RED-HOT IN GR TRAVEL LEAGUE
The Rose Garden II team defeated the Rose Garden I team, 20-4, in recent Genesee Region Youth Travel League action at Mount Morris Lanes and now has a 13-point lead over second-place Perry Bowling Center.
Evan Phillips set the pace with a 667 series with handicap, while teammates Sawyer Zinter, Megan Jarkiewicz and Brendan Pimm each topped the 600 mark with handicap.
On the scratch side, Samantha Hyde (Le Roy Legion Lanes) had the high series for the week with 207—578, followed by Dennis Van Duser (Perry Bowling Center) with 193—533.
The league bowls again this Sunday afternoon at Legion Lanes.
NEWS & NOTES FROM AROUND THE GENESEE REGION
-- Several Genesee Region USBC members have signed up to compete in the 2nd NYS Senior Masters this Saturday at Cort Lanes in Cortland. Qualifying squad times (four games) are 9 and 11:30 a.m., with the top 16 advancing to head-to-head match play.
In Tommy Kress’ 60-and-Over Tour action last Sunday, John Masiello of Kenmore won his second straight tournament, rolling 265 to defeat Keith Garceau of Rochester (263) and Don Perrault of Rochester (243) in a high-scoring final match. No Genesee Region bowlers cashed. The next tournament is set for Nov. 25 at Brad Angelo Lanes in Lockport.
-- Employees at Scopano’s Lanes in Oakfield were informed last week that the sale of the Oakfield Hotel and bowling center to a couple from New Jersey is nearly complete. According to co-owner “Jonesy” Scopano, the establishment will change hands once the state approves a new liquor license.