York State’s First County Forest has an Environmental Education Assistant Internship position open for May – August of 2022. The position is administered through the Student Conservation Association (SCA) and is located at Genesee County Park & Forest in East Bethany, NY. Applicants must be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or GED and a US citizen.
Environmental Education Assistants develop, organize, plan and lead environmental education programs to audiences of all ages in a wide variety of settings under the guidance of park staff. Environmental Education Assistants also coordinate the efforts of park volunteers.
- Conducting programs for schools, summer rec groups, scouts and the general public
- Providing customer service to park visitors and program participants
- Planning volunteer and park events
- Writing articles for the parks seasonal newsletter
- Marketing of park events, programs and resources
- Scheduling and coordinating volunteers to assist with park events and projects
- Providing training and orientation to new park volunteers
SCA interns earn a stipend of $140/week while serving and are eligible for an education award of $1,678 that may be used for student loans, tuition, classes or future college costs.
This position requires 16 weeks of 40 hour/week of service from May until August of 2022.
Hours are 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday. Flexibility is given in order to cover the prescheduled programs that are outside of the normal working hours within the 40-hour workweek.
- First Aid/AED/CPR training provided
- Experience and on-the-job training in Environmental Education and Volunteer Coordinating
- Deeper knowledge of natural history and ecology
- Job duties include volunteer outings (kayaking, hiking)
- Networking with professionals in Environmental Science and Education
The application deadline is April 12, 2022
To apply: Apply online at western-ny-regional-candidate-only/po-00732618. For additional information contact Shannon Lyaski, Conservation Education Program Coordinator at [email protected].