UPDATE: In a story posted at 5:27 p.m., the Buffalo News reports that officials are pointing to a smoldering cigarette as the likely cause of the fire.
Genesee County Emergency Management Services coordinator Timothy J. Yaeger said the victim's mother, Judy Clark, 41, had been smoking in an nclosed porch about half an hour before the fire broke out ...
WBTA reports that a discarded cigarette may have been the cause of the fire Friday morning that took the life of 17-year-old Erik Mooney.
The investigation continues and no conclusion has been reached.
The News 8 video report (warning: pre-roll advertising) says that Erik suffered from asthma and that may have contributed to his in ability escape the smoke-filled house.
The Buffalo News story includes quotes from officials and students at Erik's high school.
Erik was known among his classmates for his sense of humor and love of video games.
Fellow sophomore Roosevelt Little, 16, who shared several classes with Erik, described him as “laid back,” someone who loved to crack jokes and brighten others’ lives. Roosevelt said Erik was capable of getting all of the students he shared a table with in the cafeteria to laugh.
Erik was well-liked among his peers and became more outgoing as he got to know others, Roosevelt said.
“Some students were crying when they found out [about Erik’s death],” Roosevelt said. “Some were trying to hold in emotions. A lot left school early today.”
“Sometimes it feels like these things happen all at once,” he added, referring to another recent tragedy in the community.
The D&C story hasn't been updated, but a video has been added (again, pre-roll advertising).
Our Previous posts: Post #1, Post #2 (with our own video).