Ken Mistler working on project to bring new live theater to downtown Batavia
There may be a theater, possibly a dinner theater, in the future of the former Carr's Department Store location, if owner Ken Mistler can line up appropriate funding through the BID.
Mistler does not have many specifics on the proposal at this time, but has been working on putting together the project for several weeks.
In response to an e-mail, Mistler said:
I do not have any exact plans until the Engineers get back to me... Engineer hopes to give me my plans/answers early next week.
In a comment on The Batavian, Mislter acknowledged that he paid only $10,000 for the Carr's building, but has spent a good deal of money renovating it.
- $214,000 on the Jackson Street façade
- $22,000 on replacing windows
- $87,000 on the back façade, which helped preserve the structure
- $58,000 on new roofs
- $42,000 on the front façade
- $150,000 on repairs from leaks due to broken pipes (the elevator and dry wall were damaged)
- $20,000 on a new sprinkler system
- $15,000 on heating and air conditioning
In another comment, he said:
I offered Old Navy 4 years free rent on a 7-year lease. After 4 attempts they finally replied. They are not currently seeking any type of retail location in your (our) demographic. Now I will look toward entertainment.