Local Matters

Recent comments

Community Sponsors

December 4, 2014 - 8:01am

Local business in Corfu barn destroyed in early morning fire

posted by Howard B. Owens in fire, corfu.

A business simply called The Farm, that featured antiques and locally handcrafted items, was destroyed this morning when a fire broke out inside.

The cause hasn't been determined but an early guess, officials said, is that the fire started in a chicken coop area were heat lamps were used.

Owner Renee Franclemont lives in the house next door and a deputy had to stop her from going inside once the fire was already well involved because she wanted to save the business's financial records.

The alarm for Corfu fire was sounded about 5:45 a.m. 

Chief Dean Eck said when he arrived on scene there was still only light flame from one end and one window, but the black smoke was heavy. The fire spread fast inside the old 19th Century-era barn.

Mutual aid departments included East Pembroke, Pembroke, Indian Falls, City of Batavia, Alabama, Darien and Alden. 

Previously: Locally grown and locally made items featured at new store in Corfu

Beth Beesley
Beth Beesley's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 2 months ago
Joined: Nov 13 2014 - 8:39am

OMG how sad is this. This was an amazing place to shop. God please bless the family of this fine establishment

Scott Ogle
Scott Ogle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: Jun 27 2013 - 11:02am

What a shame . I hope they're well insured .

David O'Connor
David O'Connor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: Oct 23 2012 - 12:56pm

Terrible situation. Great owner. Glad no one injured. Wonderful business.

Post new comment

Log in or register to post comments

Calendar

S M T W T F S
 
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
10
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31
 
 

Upcoming

Copyright © 2008-2020 The Batavian. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
 

blue button